Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Isaiah 58 for Dummies (like me)




















Isaiah 58

Shout it aloud; don’t hold back!  It’s going to be hard but someone has to remind my people that they are turning their backs on me.

For day after day they pray to me and seem eager to learn all about me.  They spend so much time studying the word and learning all about me, yet they do not do what I’ve asked them to do.  They forget my commands.

They complain about their small sacrifices of time and money.
They want me to notice all they have done for me. They think I don’t see their self-righteous fasting.

But when they “fast” they are not fasting with the right spirit. They continue to hurt each other with angry words and actions.  I am not pleased with this kind of fasting.  I see through you.  You are not fasting for me… you are trying to impress your church friends.

What do I really want from you?  I want you to put an end to injustice, to set the prisoners of injustice free and to break the patterns and strongholds of this dark world that oppress my people.

Feed the hungry, be a friend to the lonely, give your possessions to the poor… and start with those that are closest to you.

If you do these things, you will be surprised how I will bless you. I will heal your broken hearts and the gospel you preach will start making sense to the world. Then you will be righteous in my sight and the world will see my glory instead of your hypocrisy.  In your humility, you will cry for my help and I will be there.

Furthermore, do not keep people in bondage by judging them and speaking badly of them.  People are hungry… physically and spiritually.  Spend your time and your resources satisfying their hunger.  Then you will be my light in this world… you will truly make a difference in the darkness.  I will guide you in all your holy endeavors and I will not forget to satisfy your needs as well.  In fact, I will bless you and encourage you more than ever. 

You will rebuild the broken church and bring her back to her original purpose… to repair the brokenness in the world, to bring my light to the people.

Don’t forget my Sabbath rest, I gave it to you for a reason.  Enjoy this day and do not dishonor it by doing what you want.  Honor me with your words and your actions and you will find true joy. I will give you the ride of your life…  and you will see all my promises fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?